The audience of animation is not just limited to kids or youngsters. With its quality production and the right story, the animation is gaining popularity at a much faster pace than any other technique in the digital world.
The world is full of animated content which includes advertisements, web series, and movies. Some of that content has even won the most prestigious awards in the entertainment industry, including Oscars, Emmy, Etc.
The animation industry has much more potential than any industry in the 21st century. A lot of youngsters have been joining as animators, and that is why today we are going to discuss the top 10 best stop motion animation software for Mac and windows.
This software will help you learn stop motion animation and make your career. It is a mixture of both paid and free Software. Both types of software are best only if you know how to use them accurately.
What is stop motion Animation?
Stop motion animation is a type of animation technique used in film making physical moves in small increments. After that, the production team is going to capture one frame at a time so that the animator can play it back, and it will give you the illusion of motion.
This type of animation does not contain much drawing work, but it will take a fairly long time to execute. In a general stop motion animation, there are 12 frames in one second. It means the production team has to click 12 pictures by moving the object with their hands to create one second of animation. There are a few different types of stop motion animation, including manipulating objects, clay, people, cutouts, and much more.
Popular types of stop motion animation
There are a few different types of stop motion animation. Usually, these types depend on the object you, as any matter, are going to use. For example, where objects are made with clay or any other material is known as claymation. On the other hand, where objects are real such as humans, it is going to be called Pixelation.
A. Object Motion
Object motion is an entry-level stop motion technique where a person can use any nearby object to create an animation. This type of stop motion animation opens more possibilities than any other type. For example, you can use a scissor in your home as an object to create animation around it.
Claymation stop motion animation is a bit harder type as compared to object motion. This type of animation includes clay objects. The artist is going to use clay models along with wires and personal creativity to create the animation. One of the most famous examples of claymation animation is Gumby.
Pixilation stop motion animation is also known as animating people. In this type of animation, you are not going to use any nearby object or create objects using clay. You have to use real humans as an artist, and the rest of the process is going to be exactly the same as any other stop motion animation. Usually, creators use Pixilation stop motion animation in advertisements.
D. Cut out Motion
Cut-out motion stop motion animation is also a challenging type of animation. An artist is going to create a cartoon or object on paper, and the rest of the process is going to be exactly the same as any other stop motion animation. The best part about cut-out motion animation is that you can become as creative as possible while drawing.
E. Puppet Animation
Puppet animation is a challenging type of stop motion animation which includes real puppets. It can be one of the most challenging types because you have to deal with a ton of different strings in a single shot. Many people get confused between puppet animation and claim motion animation as they might use similar objects.
F. Silhouette Animation
Silhouette Stop motion animation is also a very challenging but easy to make stop motion animation. In childhood, you might have seen some shows where the artist is behind a white sheet, and you can only see the shadow on the sheet. Crystal is one of the cheapest types of stop motion animation.
Best stop motion animation software for Mac PC, and windows.
Here is a list of some of the most powerful stop motion animation software for PC. You can go through the list and find the best software according to your needs is. We have included both free stop motion animation software and some paid stop motion software for Mac.
Boinx IStop-Motion (Paid)
IStop-Motion by Boinx Is among the most powerful stop motion software for Mac. The software can make your life very easy when it comes to creating stop motion animation. Most professional animators consider it the best time-lapse stop motion animation software.
It is loaded with several reliable features, including onion skinning, time-lapse, Rotoscope, and chroma keying. One of the best parts about Boinx IStop-Motion is its performance and accessibility. As per the experts, the software runs very smoothly on Mac operating systems.
Features of Boinx IStop-Motion
- Users can leverage DSLR cameras from well-known brands, including Canon and Nikon.
- Boinx IStop-Motion is loaded with several features, including onion skinning, chroma keying and time-lapse.
- The software also has a huge number of versatile and agile features.
- You can also include a workflow feature in Boinx IStop-Motion that can shorten the video-making process.
- Boinx IStop-Motion Allows you to instantly playback your animation.
- Works perfectly on the Mac operating system.
- The software also has applications for iPhone and iPad to provide more accessibility.
- It has a very easy-to-use interface.
- Only available on Mac operating systems.
- A little bit on the costlier side as compared to competitors.
Available on Mac operating system
2. Dragon Frame (Paid)
Dragon frame is another powerful stop motion animation software For Mac OS. The software is loaded with advanced camera scanning tools that can allow its users to create powerful and stunning images along with beautiful effects. Dragon frame is known to capture highly accurate movements in objects.
It is a paid software, but it allows its users to enable several features, including editing images, illuminating, perfecting images and composing shots. Several media houses, including Disney, use dragon frames for some of their shows. Dragon frame is among the most advanced and professionally used stop motion software for Mac.
Features of dragon frame
- The software can easily handle complex camera moves using motion control, move tests, and hardware integration.
- Dragon frame is known to have the best lighting feature in any stop motion animation software for Mac.
- The software is loaded with powerful lightning, keyframe smoothening, and custom exposure lighting features.
- You can also add audio and perform character track reading using integrated features such as multitrack editing and dialogue tracks.
- Dragon frame is known to create animation with perfect exposure, focus, and composition using several integrated features such as camera controls, composition guides, and image review.
- Dragon frame is loaded with several powerful tools, including auto toggling, drawing and onion skinning.
- The software is known to create stunning images with great lightning features such as exposure-based DMX lighting boards.
- You can generate full-fledged professional movies using dragon frames.
- The software is only available for Mac operating systems.
- Beginners might not be able to use the full features of dragon frame as it is a high-end and complex software.
Available on Mac operating system
3. Filmora-Pro (Free)
Filmora Pro is among the biggest names when it comes to free stop motion software for Mac. It is a feature-oriented stop motion software That can also run on your Windows operating system. The best part about Filmora Pro is its feature called motion tracking animations.
The software is loaded with an integrated and user-friendly experience that also allows you to use high-end features. Filmora Pro is completely capable of producing full-fledged animation movies. One of the biggest reasons for its popularity is that the software also allows you to use it for other types of filmmaking.
Features of filmora pro
- Filmora Pro provides an easy-to-operate interface which makes it the perfect choice for beginners.
- The software is also capable of adding audio effects along with your stop motion animation.
- Filmora pro has a unique feature called keyframing that can help you create a smoother stop motion animation video than any other free stop motion software for PC.
- The software has an advanced frame rate calculator fixed on its dashboard.
- Filmora Pro also comes with the lifetime package, which means there won’t be any monthly subscription.
- Filmora Pro is a free stop motion animation software.
- The software is loaded with every high-end feature.
- It has one of the easiest user-friendly dashboards.
- Filmora Pro is limited to 64-bit version of Windows and Mac OS above 10.10
- you have to log in again if you need to export your videos.
Available for both Mac, PC and windows.
4. Eclipse – Stop Motion Pro (Paid)
Eclipse is also another big name when it comes to stopping motion animation software for PC. Professional animators call it unsophisticated and user-friendly Software for stop motion animation. Even though it is not loaded with fancy interfaces, it doesn’t mean that eclipse is not a powerful stop motion animation software for Mac.
Eclipse Pro is also loaded with features that allow you to create animations and other types of films. The software is loaded with a simple interface that includes a few toolbars and a large workspace. The best part about eclipse Pro is its dark theme which allows its users to work long hours without hurting their eyes.
Features of eclipse
- Eclipse stop motion animation software for Mac has the most easy-to-use interface.
- The software also allows you to record audio while you are playing back your animation.
- Eclipse stop motion software for PC allows you to customize shortcuts.
- The software is also loaded with several advanced project management tools to enhance your experience.
- Eclipse has one of the most smooth playback features for up to 30 frames per second.
- The software is loaded with a very user-friendly and easy-to-use interface and tools.
- It has a unique automatic time-lapse feature that can make your stop motion animation experience very smooth.
- You might require a high-end PC to run eclipse software.
- The software is priced a little bit higher as compared to its competitors.
Available for both Mac and windows.
5. Heron Animation (Free)
Heron Is among the most popular names when it comes to free stop motion software for Windows 10, and it is also available for Mac operating system and Linux. It is among the few free stop motion animation software for Mac that also runs on Linux.
Even though Heron is free software, it doesn’t mean that it is not going to have any advanced features when it comes to stop motion animation. For example, you can use onion skinning in Hero, which is the unique selling point for many paid software.
Apart from that, you don’t have to worry about its compatibility as it can be used on any platform, including Linux. You can also use Heron to export your finished project in any video format, including MP4 and Avi.
Features of Heron
- Heron allows you to immediately playback the animation you have been working on.
- This software is also loaded with advanced features such as onion skinning.
- You can export your finished project in any video format, including MP4 and Avi.
- The software is available for any platform, including Linux, so you don’t have to worry about platform compatibility.
- Heron is the perfect software for beginners and intermediate stop motion animation artists.
- The software allows its users to take pictures from a webcam and assemble them later into an animation.
- It has among the cleanest user interfaces, which can be the best thing for any beginner.
- Heron Has very limited features, and intermediate users might have to change the software.
- The software does not allow its users to have any camera controls.
Available on Mac, Windows, and Linux.
6. IKITMovie (Paid)
IKITMovie Is among the best-paid stop motion animation software for PC. The starting price of the software is around $69, but the makers suggest everyone buy the bundle, which is going to cost around $99.
IKITMovie is very popular software in the Lego animation industry, and creators are also using it for Claymation. Unlike any other animation software, IKITMovieis loaded with more than 2000 built-in sound effects that can be used in your project in just a few clicks.
This will also allow its users to use green screen features so that you can play with the background of your project. Experts call IKITMovie the software for beginners.
Features of IKITMovie
- IKITMovie Is loaded with more than 2000 inbuilt sound effects.
- The software is also compatible with green screens in order to play with the background of the project.
- You can directly upload your finished projects to YouTube with its integrated features.
- IKITMovie is capable of producing up to 1080P animation projects.
- IKITMovie is the best software for beginners and intermediate animators.
- It allows users to export and upload videos directly to YouTube.
- You can easily produce projects with 1080P quality.
- very limited features as compared to any other stop motion software for PC.
- IKITMovie does not have much stability, and it can crash if loaded with huge products.
Available on Windows operating system.
7. Stop-Mojo (Free)
Stop Mojo Is a free stop motion software for PC. It is rated among the best and most popular stop motion animation software for beginners and enthusiasts. Despite being free software, it also allows its users to capture videos and photos from different devices, including a webcam.
You might be surprised to know that soft Mojo free stop motion software is loaded with some top-notch features, including onion skinning and time-lapse. It is among the lightest animation software available on the market.
Stop Mojo, free animation software for PC, allows its users to synchronize audio with their projects while editing. You can attach any webcam, device, card, or camera with the stop mojo.
Features the of stop mojo
- Stop Mojo is loaded with simple features, including capturing videos and images from webcams and cameras.
- The software is loaded with high-quality audio synchronization options while editing the project.
- Despite being a free stop motion animation software, it has all the necessary features.
- The software is available on multiple platforms, including windows and Mac operating systems.
- Stop Mojo does not have simple features, including X sheets and a rotoscope.
- The software does not have any advanced editing options to improve the overall quality of the project.
8. Frames (Paid)
Frames is another old name in the industry of stop motion software for PC. Even though frames is a paid software, animation experts call it beginner software which allows its users to have more editing power than any other entry-level animation software in the market.
You can easily include any illustration or image in the software to create an animation. Frames are loaded with several features which allow you to create stop motion animation along with capturing images using a webcam or a dedicated camera.
Framed is among the few software which allows you to import the entire folder of images in just a single click and use it in your project. You can also create your digital story and integrate audio from iTunes.
Features of frames
- Frames are One of the most lightweight stop motion animation software for PC.
- The software is loaded with inbuilt audio recording and mixing features.
- Frames are loaded with advanced features such as onion skinning.
- It has among the easiest interfaces, and the software has won numerous awards.
- Frames are available in multiple languages.
- Frames are priced at just 39.95 dollars, and it is also available with a free trial version.
- The software is loaded with an inbuilt audio recorder and mixer.
- Despite being cheap software, it has onion skinning.
- It has several bugs which can change the quality of your finished project.
- The software can sometimes export projects which can be jerky.
9. Monkey-Jam (Free)
Monkey jam is another old-school free stop motion software for PC. It is also a great option for beginners who do not want to invest much money in their animation passion. Monkey jam is a very straightforward software that does not offer you many features and complicated options.
It has an easy-to-navigate interface which is designed very simple and user-friendly. The software was originally developed for pencil and paper animators, but these days it is being used by beginners in stop motion animation.
The best part about monkey jam software is its compatibility with audio stored on your computer. You can easily add any audio stored on your computer with your animation project.
Feature of monkey jam
- Monkey jam allows its users to record images from an independent scanner, webcam, and digital camera.
- The software is well capable of using audio stored on your computer in your animation project.
- Monkey jam has one of the easiest Interfaces for beginners in any stop motion animation software.
- Monkey jam is the best software for those who do not have any knowledge regarding stop motion animation Software.
- The software is very easy to use. Within just a few clicks, you can capture images, put them together and create animation.
- You can export finished projects in multiple formats.
- Monkey jam does not allow its users to have real layer compositing.
- The software is no longer supported by its makers, so you won’t get any updates or bug fixes.
10. Adobe Premiere Pro (Paid)
Adobe Premiere Pro is the industry standard when it comes to stop motion software for PCs. It is a paid software that is loaded with every world-class feature when it comes to stop motion animation and other types of content creation.
The software is being used in most entertainment companies around the world. Adobe Premiere Pro is being used by industry leaders in animation and CGI. It is loaded with each and every feature available for any advanced stop motion animation software for Mac.
Features of Adobe premiere pro
- Adobe Premiere Pro is loaded with Features like motion graphics.
- You can use simple features, including color grading, trimming footage, and editing the footage to produce high-quality stop motion animation.
- Adobe Premiere Pro is among the few software which allows you to create videos from scratch.
- It has each and every advanced feature to create high-quality stop motion animation.
- Adobe Premiere Pro is a little bit costly stop motion animation software.
- The interface is loaded with each and every function, which can confuse beginners.
- A person requires extensive knowledge regarding Adobe premiere pro before it can be used for even simple projects.
Available for Windows and Mac operating system
To conclude everything, I will say both options are very good if you know how to use them. As a pro tip, I will suggest going to whichever software you believe is looking good right now. Whether you want to go with the free stop motion software or paid stop motion software for PC, you are completely free to go.
Don’t master the software, but the logic. Most stop motion animation software for Mac or PC is going to have similar features. You have to understand the logic and work your way. To be on the safer side, you can start with a free stop motion animation software for PC and later switch it to any other paid software.